Monday, January 30, 2012

Basil Essential Oil for ear infections

I have been experiencing a minor ear infection for the last couple of days.  Although it was not server it was very uncomfortable and a bit painful.  I was even experiencing some dizziness with it.  When it first started I summed up my symptoms as a sinus issues with the dizziness and ear pressure.  So I reach for my Helichrysum oil and massage a drop behind my ear tracing down the ear canal.  Then I place a drop of cedarwood on the palms of my hand, cupped my hands over my nose and inhale.  Cedarwood helped to easy the dizziness.  Even though the oils helped with the symptoms it was obvious that there was more going on.  The pressure in my ears worsen.  It was the weekend and I wasn't able to call my doctor till Monday morning.  So, I reach for Basil essential oil.  

Here’s a recent study that indicates Basil essential oil can be helpful for ear infections. Of course we NEVER put oils directly into the ear!! but if you put a few drops on a cotton ball and rest the cotton ball on the ear, the aromatic vapors will gently work into the ear and do their wonderful healing. Grapefruit oil is also helpful for ear issues. Do the cotton ball thing, and also rub a drop of the oil on the mastoid process and around the outer ear. (Extra benefit: basil oil and the citrus oils also have relaxing qualities. So if you have a little one (or one who’s not so little!) who is uncomfortable and irritable from the ear infection, these oils can give a double dose of benefit!

Essential oils may cure ear infections
Journal of Infectious Diseases, June 2005
Applying certain essential oils to the ear canal appears to be an effective treatment for ear infections. If toxicity studies confirm the safety of (anti-bacterial) essential oil components for use in the ear, then a significant advance can be made in the treatment of ear infections. The vapours that are released by essential oils, such  as oil of basil, have been shown to have rapid bacteria-killing effects. Topical therapy for ear infections is usually not recommended because most drugs are in a liquid form that cannot penetrate the eardrum to reach the infected middle ear. However, the vapours from essential oils may be able to diffuse through the eardrum and destroy the microbes present.

www.LiivngVibrations.CO

www.MyAncientOils.com

No comments: